Jesse B
HyperNSW Member
HyperNSW Member
Car: Mazda3 SP23
Engine: 2.4L
Modifications: K & N panel filter

Why Do This, Why Do That, To Your Car? Whinging and lady

Postby Jesse B » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:12 pm

This is a rant to all the people who whinge and lady about "Why do you have to mod you're car, you'll love up you're car if you do it"

I have been without my car because of other people modding my car before, and I've learned the semi hard way, but I don't know why people whinge and lady about it, I mean.. My friend who has a nice car, he just had a whinge and lady about why I have to mod my car and he said I'll end up stuffing it up if I keep doing it.

Well I just said to him it's fun and stuff, I can't blame him for being the "I want to buy a powerful car and not upgrade it" or "I'll leave everything stock cause I like it as is" type of people..

God damn I don't like those non imaginative right handed people. (I'm not blaming the right handed people)

I had to basically force him to buy a pod filter and put it onto his car, ever since then, he doesn't want to mod his nice 380.

I dunno, sometimes it's just so hard for people to understand if one person has a passion for something others don't, so they don't or never will understand.

(PS.)

The reason why the person had a whinge to me was because I just figured out why my exhaust is louder and quiet to the point where I can't hear it sometimes etc, was because the air intake temp sensor is in my engine bay in mid air, thus getting hot and cold temperatures of day/night temperatures

That's why my exhaust is loud at night and quiet during the hot days :lol:

Bevan-L
I love Hyper
I love Hyper
Car: Haiyoondai
Engine: yes it has one.
Modifications: shortshifter. makes it a lot easier when with someone in the car.

Re: Why Do This, Why Do That, To Your Car? Whinging and bitca

Postby Bevan-L » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:03 am

Jesse B wrote:This is a rant to all the people who whinge and bitca about "Why do you have to mod you're car, you'll f%$& up you're car if you do it"

I have been without my car because of other people modding my car before, and I've learned the semi hard way, but I don't know why people whinge and bitca about it, I mean.. My friend who has a nice car, he just had a whinge and bitca about why I have to mod my car and he said I'll end up stuffing it up if I keep doing it.

Well I just said to him it's fun and stuff, I can't blame him for being the "I want to buy a powerful car and not upgrade it" or "I'll leave everything stock cause I like it as is" type of people..

God damn I don't like those non imaginative right handed people. (I'm not blaming the right handed people)

I had to basically force him to buy a pod filter and put it onto his car, ever since then, he doesn't want to mod his nice 380.

I dunno, sometimes it's just so hard for people to understand if one person has a passion for something others don't, so they don't or never will understand.

(PS.)

The reason why the person had a whinge to me was because I just figured out why my exhaust is louder and quiet to the point where I can't hear it sometimes etc, was because the air intake temp sensor is in my engine bay in mid air, thus getting hot and cold temperatures of day/night temperatures

That's why my exhaust is loud at night and quiet during the hot days :lol:

well look at it from the otherside.... why would you risk modifying your car which you drive from day to day? I'm not talking about fitting a pod filter or changing the exhaust, i mean messing about with the engine, drivetrain, suspension etc. you know exactly what its like not having a car after something like this.I used to be that way, didnt care how uncomfortable it was to drive as long as if it was extreamly fast. Thanfully i've seen the light and now my car i drive from day to day is dead stock. dont have to worry about anything just a relaxing drive. If I do want some excitement i'll eventually hop into the race car or for now my cousin's panno...

but in the end of the day its your car, everyones entitled to do what they want to do....
Hyundai Lantra Super Touring Car
Ex: 1994 Fiat Uno Turbo 1400cc - 237wKw "Slow White"
I LOVE ED HARDY CLOTHING!!!!!!
My post count would be higher if my posts weren't always deleted...

Bozza
HyperQLD Member
HyperQLD Member
Car: 2004 LC2 Accent
Engine: Alpha 1.6 DOHC
Modifications: 16" Rims
Lowered Suspension
Aftermarket Front strut bar
Whiteline Rear sway bar
2" Exhaust
Speedbox CAI & CF Spark Cover

Postby Bozza » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:04 pm

As my sister found out a while ago. That a drive down to the local shops can mean you lose your car. She was involved in 3 car crash (diidn't cause it). He car was close to a write off. My point is, if you modify your daily that chance of being in a crash everyday is higher. You get to the point where you look at the car, how much its worth, how much you could sell it back for, and if you have the money to put into a car rather then a better option. I hope that makes sense......

Torrens

My 2cents
Looking at staying in Brisbane? Contact me for a cheap deal on a 4 Star Motel

scythe
Tech Advisor
Tech Advisor
Car: 2000-LC-Accent
Engine: 1.5L DOHC
Modifications: Rear Whiteline 20mm HD swaybar,
SS wide mouth CAI,
K&N Panel filter,
2" 4-2-1 Genie Extractors
2" dog-front
Magnaflow 2" high-flow cat,
LC2 split cup holders.

Postby scythe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:30 am

I don't agree that modifying your car makes you more likely to have an accident, i think its the type of person that causes the crash.
An accident will probbaly happen to you no matter how modified your car is.

Granted people that modify their cars tend to drive in a riskier manner (which is why insurance companies charge a premuium for modified cars) but then so do people who drive stockers.
Have you been near a courier van on the highway, in traffic or suburbian areas, riskiest drivers out there while driving stock cars (most commonly vans).

But yes if you want to pour your money into your car then i dont see that there is anything wrong with that as a hobby (i quite enjoy it), just dont expect to increase the re-sale value by adding a bling paint job or a set of fully sick chromies.
There are worse things to spend your money on, like Heroine and crack.

So just tell people to keep things in perspective, and to get off your back about how you spend "your" money, wives and parents (if you still live at home) are the only ones allowed to have any sway over how you spend your money.
But you dont have to listen to them.

But you should also not spend stupid ammount of money on your car either if you are trying to save up for other more important things (weddings, houses, overseas holidays etc).
I Buy my parts from "Hyspares", why don't you?
Use our club account for photobucket:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4739
PICS OR BAN!

shgnwgn
Forum User

Postby shgnwgn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:56 am

and if u keep your car for 3 - 5 years,
might as well make it more enjoyable, for yourself,

and i believe its funny how they say ull never get ur money back,
yet they go out n buy cars of the showroom floor,
bye bye 5 gs at least!
Still feels yucky about the dodgy stuff that went on in front of my eyes when i worked at Harrison Hyundai

Marc
Forum User
Car: 1994 X2 Excel Sprint
Engine: Stocker

Postby Marc » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:04 am

shgnwgn wrote:and i believe its funny how they say ull never get ur money back,
yet they go out n buy cars of the showroom floor,
bye bye 5 gs at least!

Its a known fact wether you modify them or leave them bone stock you will lose money, whats your point i can;t see what your trying to say here??

Ive had people say the samething to me about playing with cars, but its simple everyone has their thing, might be fishing, might be painting, whatever everyone needs a hobby.
50% of the time, i'm right 100% of the time...

shgnwgn
Forum User

Postby shgnwgn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:14 am

i mean as in,
all my family members,
have had a crack at me moding my car,
saying its a waste of money
but almost all of them have just recently bought brand new cars
off the showroom floor,
which is a lage waste of money considering the yard has exact same cars with
50 kms on it, and its already registered, for 5 grand less, so they just wasted a whole stack of money on nuthin tangeable,
Still feels yucky about the dodgy stuff that went on in front of my eyes when i worked at Harrison Hyundai

Jesse B
HyperNSW Member
HyperNSW Member

Re: Why Do This, Why Do That, To Your Car? Whinging and lady

Postby Jesse B » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Don't get me wrong on getting a "fast car" but it goes more into that.

It's the fact that I want to be different, I wanted to get a 2" exhaust, larger throttle body and a pod filter with PVC piping in the middle of it, now it's so fun starting off at the lights, reving to 3.5 4k with full throttle and changing gears at the perfect timing so that when I changed gears I can use full throttle straight after in the next gear, that sound of the pod filter sounds so high pitched that I get people looking at my stock standard car, even driving down main street if I manage to pull it off.

it's a great feeling knowing what I've changed in the car and mostly 99% of people who don't know me don't know what's changed. even if I just randomly tap the throttle I can hear the pod.

It even comes down to having the throttle body larger than stock, I randomly check my oil and I am proud of what I've done to the engine bay, I have had a lot of memories with my car and I understand that my car won't last forever now it's coming up to 300k engine wear.

People always think about how much money is poured into a car that probably won't sell for any higher than what is thought, but it's how much fun I have in the meantime.

I don't regret spending money on the car with improvements on power, although I am going to stop modifying the car as there are to many dents, and the engine has done to many KM's on the road to keep going with a 3 to $400 dollar cam upgrade.

Thanks Scythe for you're input by the way!

wheel_of_steel
HyperWA President
HyperWA President
Car: X3 + S-Coupe GT
Engine: twin cam-turbo alpha
Modifications: None, your honour.

Postby wheel_of_steel » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:29 pm

"I had to basically force him to buy a pod filter and put it onto his car"

"I dunno, sometimes it's just so hard for people to understand if one person has a passion for something others don't"

because its pointless putting a pod on a 380, and some cars just arent suited to be modified. if they dont want to spend hundreds on their car for only marginal gains, but want to spend it on their own hobby, let them i say.

its like if he tried to force you to paint at least one, small portrait. you dont want to, and would rather spend the money on a TB or cams or something.
Somebody on the internet wrote:Some edgy quote

Jesse B
HyperNSW Member
HyperNSW Member

Postby Jesse B » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:23 pm

wheel_of_steel wrote:"I had to basically force him to buy a pod filter and put it onto his car"

"I dunno, sometimes it's just so hard for people to understand if one person has a passion for something others don't"

because its pointless putting a pod on a 380, and some cars just arent suited to be modified. if they dont want to spend hundreds on their car for only marginal gains, but want to spend it on their own hobby, let them i say.

its like if he tried to force you to paint at least one, small portrait. you dont want to, and would rather spend the money on a TB or cams or something.

Alright I understand where you are coming from, but do you know the history of the intake from the Mitsubishi 380? The Mitsubishi team attached a intake from a 4cylinder gallant due to the amount of noise was coming from the intake itself from the original intake that they put on, so they downsized it to the 2.4litre 4 cylinder model.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/ ... 9-3804.jpg

He did the research and he knew the intake from his series was small, so he was sort of leaning towards getting the pod or not, and he just didn't want to "stuff up his car", well its attached and he has gotten an extra 60km from a tank, and he loves the back pressure noise from the engine at high rpm with full throttle.

LunchieTey

Postby LunchieTey » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:22 am

Modifying your car can massively increase accident risk depending on the mod. Cut springs will make a deathtrap, a pod filter won't change much at all, except the random squirts down the road which may end in tears...

A kid got run over 1km from my house by a VW beetle doing prob 70 in a 50 zone, not that fast(or pod filtered) BUT this road has blind corners etc and the kid wouldn't have been expecting cars to be doing 20 over. Who here can honestly say they've never left the boot in for just that bit longer so you reach the end of second(85 or so in my accent) after say a small roundabout? You prob wouldn't do it in a stock car cause there's no point and it sound crap!

Then there's boosting, a 15 second boot in a stock accent may get you to 130-140, in a turbo you may be closer to 180 etc!

So no the pod didn't kill anyone directly BUT the short squirt did/can. And don't say you're a safe driver, you only have to do it once for something like that to happen!

Same goes for hard springs etc. A bumpy road can easily upset an over stiff car and reduce tyre contact with the road, combined with low profile rubber and poor shocks can make for a jittery ride. Stiff suspension is for the track(smooth surface). Even showroom sports models are still pretty soft, with good suspension travel.

Rear disc conversion... Who knows for sure what would happen in an emergency situation in the wet? Will they lock up prematurely?

Factories spend $$$ making cars safe, most mods will actually reduce the efficiency of other systems etc and MAY cause some accidents. You can't say they don't! And combine this with a natural desire to drive a modded car harder(we all do it at least every now and then) can def cause accidents!

Oh and it's your car, do what you want with it. Cheaper cars are better for modding anyway as there's less to lose :) my next car(audi 1.8T) will be stock except for 19's and a small amount lower to match the rims etc(prob using audi springs)

wheel_of_steel
HyperWA President
HyperWA President

Postby wheel_of_steel » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:21 pm

Jesse B wrote:he has gotten an extra 60km from a tank

can't argue with that

LunchieTey wrote:Factories spend $$$ making cars safe, most mods will actually reduce the efficiency of other systems

or this

Bevan-L
I love Hyper
I love Hyper
Car: Haiyoondai
Engine: yes it has one.
Modifications: shortshifter. makes it a lot easier when with someone in the car.

Postby Bevan-L » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:17 pm

LunchieTey wrote:by a VW beetle doing prob 70 in a 50 zone, not that fast(or pod filtered)

20 over is still okay by some peoples standards, just for laughs and stuff. :roll:
Hyundai Lantra Super Touring Car
Ex: 1994 Fiat Uno Turbo 1400cc - 237wKw "Slow White"
I LOVE ED HARDY CLOTHING!!!!!!
My post count would be higher if my posts weren't always deleted...

wheel_of_steel
HyperWA President
HyperWA President

Postby wheel_of_steel » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:42 pm

LunchieTey wrote:A kid got run over 1km from my house

might of been some sort of a vendetta or something

Bozza
HyperQLD Member
HyperQLD Member
Lowered Suspension
Whiteline Rear sway bar
2" Exhaust

Postby Bozza » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Its funny. My dad had always hated me spending money on a car (modify it). I showed him my 180sx with its new paint job, bodykity, rims, and he quite liked it. His remark was "So when are you selling it to get some of your money back??" Lol, knowing for well that I wont. We all have a hobby, cars is just an expensive hobby.

shgnwgn
Forum User

Postby shgnwgn » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:16 pm

im a guitairst, and trust me that can get expensive too!!

ive spent a fair stack of money, JUST to alter my sound between my guitar and amplifier
i spent so far roughly,
ME-50 - $500
LC-2 - $500
Jimi Hendrix wah - $300
DS-1 - $100
Leads - $150
2 powerpacks $120
Tuner - $50

wats that $1820??
thats not including my 2 custom handbuilt guitars, my other 5 guitars, and 3 amplifiers

Bozza
HyperQLD Member
HyperQLD Member
Lowered Suspension
Whiteline Rear sway bar
2" Exhaust

Postby Bozza » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:20 pm

This will make me seem like the lamest guy ever. But my other hobby is fish. It is quite expensive. 3Ft tanks x2 $145, filters for them $60 each. 2Ft $90, filter for it $50. Then lighting for the tanks, above $120 each for the 3Ft. You can do it cheaper tho, I only use real plants which costs abit extra :p Sorry for the rambling......

Jesse B
HyperNSW Member
HyperNSW Member

Re: Why Do This, Why Do That, To Your Car? Whinging and lady

Postby Jesse B » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Yea, another part of my hobbies are photography.

My camera cost me over $1400 for the stock 14-45mm 3.5 to 5.6 lens 8megapixel

I would need a proper flower anti sunlight protector:
$50

Custom light flash for the top of my camera for that extra flash
$200 round abouts

extra batteries $50

Extra storage for the fastest Compact flash, close to $100 to $150 at some stores

and heres the big one:

Olympus lens, :mrgreen: 150MM 2.8F stop cost:

$2800USD

I clocked it at, I think it's US. might have been AUS 8)

Well that's what I got to buy except for the lens, I got the cheap $10 dollar flower head for my camera but it still does the job.

Return to “Hyundai Discussion”